Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7


GENESIS 16:1-18:15
MATTHEW 6:1-24
PSALM 7:1-17
PROVERBS 2:1-5

Prayer.

Today, I stay in the book of Matthew because of Jesus' teaching on prayer.  I was actually preparing to speak on the covenant between God and Abraham. But, I feel God leading me to write on prayer.

Here we have Jesus' account and instructions on how to pray.  We know this as the Lords Prayer.  But the Bible is flooded with the concepts and results of prayer.  The scriptures are very serious about prayer.  Allow me to give you scriptures on prayer and encourage you to pray.  

One of the most interesting verses on prayer is when the apostles acknowledge that prayer is difficult.  Paul says, "Labor with me in prayer. (1 Cor. 14)" That is such an interesting choice of words, work with me at prayer.  It's almost as if he is saying, this doesn't come easy to most of us, so labor with me, work with me at prayer.

Scripture tells us to pray at all times, with perseverance.  Pray without ceasing.  Devote yourself to prayer.  Be watchful in prayer.  

Isaiah 62: 6-7 I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth.

That scripture tells me that God loves being bothered by His children.  It says, "give Him no rest.."  Don't stop asking Him, don't stop petitioning Him, don't stop begging Him, don't stop crying out to Him.  Give Him no rest.  

One version says, Give Him no rest till He completes His work.  Scripture says, you do not have because you do not have.  Ask. Seek. Knock.

Pray!  Live life in Christ and pray.  If you do not know how follow this guide:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
 
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one."

No comments:

Post a Comment